Stephen is a partner for the firm and is a transactional attorney who practices in the areas of corporate, partnership, securities compliance, estate planning and succession law with a particular emphasis on entity formation, mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financings and oil and gas transactions. Previously Stephen was employed in Boulder, Colorado with one of the largest law firms in the world where he advised clients with respect to entity formation, equity and debt financings and other general corporate issues for early stage and venture-backed companies. In Colorado, he counseled clients regarding securities laws compliance for public companies, including the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, NYSE and NASDAQ stock exchanges and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. Stephen also assisted with corporate finance transactions, initial public offerings, universal shelf filings and take downs.
Stephen received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Texas A&M University, where he attended a five-year Professional Program in Accounting. Upon graduating and prior to attending law school, Stephen was employed by Arthur Andersen, L.L.P. in its Dallas, Texas office as a Certified Public Accountant. In this capacity, Stephen participated in the organization and performance of financial audits for a variety of corporations with a primary specialization in the real estate industry.
Stephen obtained his law degree from Louisiana State University, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and a Senior Board Editor for the Louisiana Law Review. He graduated ranked 3rd in his law school class. He was a member of the Student Bar Association Ethics Committee (2003-2005) and appeared on the Chancellor’s List five times.
- Represented borrower in the establishment of a $50 million revolving credit facility established for investments in the oil and gas industry.
- Represented client in the establishment of multiple equity funding commitments of up to $100 million for use in the oil and gas industry.
- Represented sellers in the sale of a large fuel and packaging business to a publicly owned NASDAQ company.
- Represented sellers in the sale of approximately $115 million in oil and gas interests to a publicly owned NYSE company.
- Drafted public placement memorandum and other related instruments for the establishment of a $70 million oil and gas investment vehicle.
- Louisiana State University Law Center J.D./B.C.L., 2005, Order of the Coif, Senior Board Editor for the Louisiana Law Review
- Texas A & M University, B.B.A./M.S. in Accounting, 2000
- Selected as a Rising Star for Super Lawyers (Louisiana) for business and corporate law in 2012-2016.
- Listed in SB Magazine as one of Shreveport/Bossier’s best lawyers
- Volunteer mentor for 2017 Louisiana’s Startup Prize Qualifying event
Activities and Affiliations
Activities and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Shreveport Bar Association
- The Tax and Estate Planning Council of Shreveport
- “Achieving the Proper Remedy for a Dissenting Shareholder in Today’s Economy: Yuspeh v. Koch“, 65 La. L. Rev. 911, 2005.
- Faculty Presenter for the National Business Institute – “Securities Law Compliance in Common Oil and Gas Transactions“, January 16, 2014.
- Faculty Presenter for the National Business Institute’s – Business Law Boot Camp , August 29, 2017